2006-01-20

Assault Weapons

I have been getting a lot of questions regarding the legality of my new "assault weapon," or as one of my friends called it, my new "machine gun" (it's a semiautomatic M4-style AR15, therefore NOT a machine gun). Many people don't seem to know that the AWB (Clinton's Assault Weapon Ban) has sunsetted, i.e. is NO LONGER LAW. On the other hand I was talking to a Cochise County sheriff who was trying to convince me that the AWB stood for "Automatic Weapons Ban," and that full-auto Uzi's were now legal without a permit. Don't I wish, but I did my best to set him straight. It is somewhat disturbing that both the voters and the law enforcers don't know what is going on. If you are simply a voter, YOU indirectly make the laws. If you are LE, you owe it to the people you are serving to know what the law is.

I found a couple quite unbiased articles on the AWB, both sides of the argument seem to be well-portrayed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_assault_weapons_ban

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home